Sunday, August 5, 2012

Walking out fear

I have been having a bad time lately, so I do what I always do during these times-walk the beach and talk to God.  I am a big "pray-er".  I talk to God all the time like He is sitting next to me and some of our best conversations are set to the tune of surf, squawks and splashes.  Last night I hit the beach right before a storm hit and decided I needed to walk these and take pictures:

These are pilings left from old docks back when Naples was just a little bitty town with no roads and no way to get there but by boat and train. They are down on Gordon Drive, which is some of the most expensive real estate IN THE COUNTRY! It makes me feel a little snarky to go and walk "their" beach ;}

Anyhoooo...I decided to be brave and walk out in the Gulf on these pieces of deteriorating wood.  I got most of the way out, no problem, just as cocky and stupid as ever...then...it hit me...what am I doing?




I stopped dead in my tracks.  Couldn't move forward, too cavalier to turn back. WTH am I gonna do?
As I stood there, swaying in the wind that was blowing in a big storm, it dawned on me this is a BIG OLE METAPHOR for my life.  I take on the challenge, walk the walk, then get a-l-m-o-s-t there and stop, turn and run. I was frozen there, mulling this over, when I heard the answer- "NO MORE". Believe that no matter how narrow the path, no matter how far out I go, TRUST that I never, never walk this way alone.

 I walked out to the end, snapped a picture, turned and walked back, very very satisfied with myself!


Sometimes you just have to kick yourself in the butt...and listen to the quiet voice that gives you the answer.




No comments:

Post a Comment